Visiting Liberty University

Visiting Liberty University

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Global Focus Week

Hello everyone!

If you're interested, here is an article about today's convocation. (FYI, the article fails to mention that President Falwell forgot about the "spoken word" artist at the end, so he dismissed the students. When quite a few people were out in the aisles on their way out, he realized his mistake and called everyone back, so there was mass confusion for a little while. That was pretty funny.)

This week has been very convicting so far. On Monday, Nik Ripken, a missionary who had spent years in Africa (in/around Somalia) shared how he often felt like repaying the Muslim extremists with military violence. "The Old Testament sounds really good to me," he said. "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth." But then he reminded us how Jesus tells us to love our enemies. The truth is, many Muslims have never heard of Jesus, because the church "didn't get that far." They never had the chance to believe and act any differently.

Apparently one of Mr. Ripken's friends fell on his knees before God after 9/11, asking God to forgive, not the terrorists, but the church because they hadn't reached the Muslim world with the Gospel in time to prevent terrorism. That was a whole new perspective for me.

One of Mr. Ripken's Somali coworkers literally walked for 5 days without food across mine fields and under barbed wire to get to the Ripken family because their son had just died. The coworker was amazed that Christians know where they are going when they die; Muslims don't. He asked Mr. Ripken, "Why have you Christians kept this to yourselves?" That's not really what I would expect a Muslim to say, but he did.

Today in Convo we were told that the Scriptures might very well be translated into every language within the next 20 years, which of course brings up the verse: "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all nations... and THEN the end will come." It should make me excited, but it's kind of a scary thought. "The end" means the Tribulation, the Antichrist, Armageddon, the whole nine yards. Of course, it ultimately ends with Christ's return, but there's a lot of trouble that has to happen first. I've known that the end would be coming soon... but I was still startled to think that it might be THIS soon. I like my happy little world, and I really don't like being reminded of the ugliness outside. This is a very wrong point of view, I realize, but it's where I am right now.

Which raises the question, in light of the soon-ness of the end of the world, how should I live? The weight and enormity of these realities makes even going to college seem trivial by comparison. I want to kind of brush it off and go on my merry way... but then again, I don't. I don't want to be one of those virgins who forgot to trim her lamp and was shut outside when the bridegroom came. I don't want to be caught sleeping on the watch. I want to be ready and doing the will of my Lord when He comes. But His will is SO big and SO heavy.

Often I feel God calling me to commune with Him, but I feel guilty for not doing my devotions (or whatever the situation might be) and I try to tune Him out, kind of like Adam and Eve hiding in the Garden of Eden. For some reason, I let myself believe that interacting with Him and listening to Him will be this awful, painful thing... but really, truly walking in fellowship with God is when I feel the most free, the most alive. Yet I tend to go into auto-pilot and just kind of drift along in life, when I should be actively leaning on Him. Only then can I focus on and do His will without buckling under the enormity of it all.

Anyway... that was a different post from what we've done so far, but I wanted to share that, and get it written down. I would appreciate your prayers as I learn how to walk with God and also consider what part He wants me to play in taking the Gospel to the nations. Thank you so much!

   -Natalie

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful thoughts, Natalie. Thank you for letting us walk with you on your journey. Love you! Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record...the Muslims who live in places like Somalia now are the descendents of Muslims who got there by conquering the Christian Roman Empire piecemeal from about the seventh to about the fifteenth century.

    To get to Somalia, the Muslims would have had to come through Egypt, which was a major Christian center before it was conquered in the 7th and 8th centuries, and Ethiopia, which I'm pretty sure had some Christian presence before it was conquered.* Somalia itself probably had some Christian presence when it was conquered.

    So it's not really fair to say that Christianity never reached those places. Christianity had been in those places for centuries before Islam drove it out, and Islam has done a pretty good job of repelling it since - not that Muslims are all bad people, or that we don't have a missional responsibility for those places, but just that the idea that the Church bears special guilt for those places isn't really fair.

    *Footnote: They might also have come across the gulf from Yemen, but I doubt it. Even if they did, my point stands - Yemen had been trading hands between the Byzantines and the Persians for decades before the Arabs took it and so even it probably had some Christian population.

    ReplyDelete